Bioindication is a biological process for the qualitative and quantitative determination of human-caused or natural environmental influences using suitable indicator organisms (bioindicators). They not only indicate environmental impacts from past years, but also enable forward-looking environmental protection. Negative tendencies are detected early on.
This provides security in making qualified far-reaching decisions and also ensures expert measurement and analytical processes.
Which services do we offer?
- We provide you with support in selecting bioindication procedures
- We prepare a measurement schedule and carry out the measurement procedures (set up, sampling)
- We assess the bioindicator materials
- We assess the environmental impacts based on the results while taking into consideration
How does the method work?
Rye grass, kale, lichen, or pine or spruce needles are used as bioindicators according to the task and the harmful substances to be examined.
The bioindication employs the properties of the organisms to enrich harmful substances and/or indicate pollutant emissions through unique changes in state:
- Active bioindication involves exposing suitable indicator organisms in the area under investigation and examining these after a defined period.
- Passive bioindication involves recording the state of naturally occurring organisms in the area under investigation.
Bioindication offers the advantage of a summary assessment on the overall impact of all existing harmful substances over an extended time period. Impacts on organisms that are caused by the simultaneous presence of several harmful substances and their interactions can also be identified. In case of special issues, the recording of individual, relevant harmful substances can also be verified.
Our experts are glad to answer your individual questions at any time. Just send us an e-mail by clicking on the contact box (top right).