The measuring of the concentration of odours is referred to as olfactometry. Olfactometry is a sensory measurement procedure, which uses the human nose as a measuring device. Using olfactometry, it is determined with how many particles of odourless air must you dilute odorous exhaust air so that the mixture can barely be smelled.
This threshold is the only objective perception that this sense provides us. As a result, you get the odorous concentration of a sample, which allows calculations to be performed just like with other concentration values.
Although the odour measurement is now possible using "technical noses" (based on semiconductor sensors), the wide variety of different odours that must be taken into consideration during our assessments makes it impossible to draw conclusions in terms of human perception from the resulting signal samples.
The measurements are carried out with a dilution device called the olfactometer. Die auszuwertende Abluft befindet sich hierfür in einem geruchsdichten und geruchneutralen Beutel. People are used as smell test persons who have an average olfactory capacity and regularly conduct examinations to formulate a defined procedure.
What sets us apart?
- We are a recognised measurement centre in accordance with Sections 26 and 28 of the Federal Emissions Protection Act and active for about 30 years in the field of odour investigation.
- We have a quality management system. Es ist auf Grundlage der DIN EN ISO 9001:2000 und der DIN EN 17025 zertifiziert.
- We work with national standard committees for quality assurance and development of odour measurements and projections (VDI 3782, Bl. 13 "ensuring the quality of pollution forecasts", VDI 3884, German elaboration of DIN EN 13725, VDI 3880, "olfactometric sampling")).
- We engage officially certified and attested experts for odour analysis.
- We develop all devices for olfactometric sampling in-house (including long-term samplers, sampling hoods and gas-jet pumps for dynamic pre-dilution).
- The following publications can be found at this link:
- Biomass, biogas
- Against odours
Which services do we offer?
- We offer olfactometric investigations of odour-relevant sources of all kinds, such as exhaust chimneys, diffuse sources, and area sources.
- We offer recurring and acceptance measurements within a warranty or regulatory requirements.
- We determine the odour reduction rate of exhaust air cleaning systems by the measurement of raw and cleaned air even with pilot and test facilities.
- We advise on the design and contractual arrangements of warranties of exhaust air cleaning systems
According to which statutory regulations do we work?
There is such a broad range of tasks in odour assessments that the solutions cannot be standardised. The procedure in such investigations is governed by the Federal Emissions Protection Act (BImSchG), the states' odour pollution directives (GIRL), and national and European standards (DIN EN 13725 (olfactometry), VDI 3940 (inspections) and other specific standards (e.g. VDI manual on air cleanliness).
Our experts are glad to answer your individual questions at any time. Just send us an e-mail by clicking on the contact box (top right).