"Tempo 100" top speed regulation
Car-trailer combinations on motorways and highways
Anyone who wants to get off to a speedy start on their caravan holiday should apply for a "Tempo 100" permit. This permit allows you to drive at speeds of up to 100 km/h on the motorway instead of the usual 80 km/h. But keep in mind: even when a trailer or caravan is eligible for Tempo 100 according to the vehicle documents, the towing vehicle also has to fulfil certain conditions.
The ideal conditions for reaching your destination quickly
Generally, a speed limit of 80 km/h, or Tempo 80, applies for trailers. Those who wish to drive faster can now have their vehicle and trailer assessed for suitability at any TÜV STATION. On successful completion of the assessment, you receive a confirmation which you can take to your local vehicle registration authority in order to receive a Tempo 100 sticker. Vehicles and trailers have to fulfil the following criteria:
- Your car must be equipped with ABS
- The maximum permissible laden weight of your car is 3,500 kg
- The trailer is suitable for a maximum speed of 100 km/h
- The trailer tyres are designed for Tempo 120 and have at least speed index L
- The tyres are no more than six years old
- You have to comply with specific weight proportions between the trailer and the towing vehicle
- Load the trailer in such a way that the maximum permissible towbar load of the combination is almost reached. Make sure that you do not exceed the permissible towbar load of the towing vehicle or that of the trailer. Reason: You significantly improve the manageability of your combination with a high towbar load.
Watch your weight
The permissible laden weight of the trailer may not exceed any of the following three values:
- The total towing capacity of the towing vehicle
- The permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle
- The product of X • unladen weight of the towing vehicle
Factor X consists of one the following values, depending on the technical equipment of the vehicle:
|technical equipment of the trailer|
|without hydraulic shock absorbers||with brakes and hydraulic shock absorbers|
|0,3||0,8 or 1,0*||1,1 or 1,2*|
The values marked with "*" (asterisk) may be used if:
- the trailer is equipped with a suitable coupling with stabilising device or
- the trailer is equipped with a suitable dynamic stability system or
- the towing vehicle is equipped with a suitable dynamic stability system for towing (this is stated in the vehicle registration document).
If these legal requirements appear somewhat complicated, why not talk to us?
We will be happy to advise you.