Driving theory test
Practical tips for theory
Preparation gets you halfway to passing. If you correctly answered the questionnaire at the driving school, you can proceed to the exam in relaxed fashion. The exam consists of precisely the same questions that you are familiar with from your lessons. Some of the question formulation may differ.
What else should you bring apart from your knowledge?
Prepare in your own way and then first go to the test centre, if you are really feeling fit. For the test, you require:
- a valid form of personal identification or passport
- the training certificate for the theoretical part of the training from your driving school
Here's how to approach it
- Arrange an appointment in good time (we recommend making an appointment two weeks in advance); you can obtain information from the driving school or at your local TÜV NORD contact partner
- Please go to the reception and present your test certificate.
- The TÜV employee will establish whether you may take the test
- In the examination room, the TÜV expert will check your personal identification to see if you are who you say you are. Give them the training certificate and pick up your questionnaire.
- You have 30 minutes. This is fully sufficient. So stay calm. Read the instructions carefully. A few extra minutes invested now will lead to fewer mistakes. Please remember to enter your name and to write your signature.
- Please hand the completed questionnaire to the TÜV member of staff. They will check your answers and give you your result.
- In Bremen, Bremerhaven and Nordrhein-Westfalen, the theoretical test is already taken on the PC. As of 2010, Lower Saxony will follow suit. Don't worry, the test is exactly the same as the paper version.
Congratulations! You have passed. All that studying has paid off.
- The TÜV expert will enter the result on to the test certificate and give you a duplicate copy if required.
- Now you can concentrate on the practical test.
Time for a lap of honour?
Have you unexpectedly failed the theory test? Well, that need not mean it's the end of the world.
- The expert tester will explain what went wrong and show you where you should have put your crosses.
- If you feel ready to having another go at it, you can retake after 14 days.
- Please bring your valid personal identification or passport with you again. Next time you're bound to pass.
We wish you all the best.