Energy Efficiency for Buildings

Energy efficiency certificates and energy advice

More limited availability of fossil fuels, rising energy costs and the increasing importance of climate protection are leading to new challenges when it comes to energy savings and efficient use of energy. The legislature has reacted by issuing the Energy Saving Ordinance (EnEV), which contains considerably more stringent requirements for the thermal insulation and the technical equipment used in residential and non-residential buildings.

Following a successful building check and analysis of the current situation on site, including building physics and energy calculations, TÜV NORD issues the energy efficiency certificate which is required for all new and old buildings, both residential and non-residential.


The European Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings (EPBD) stipulates among other things the presentation of an energy efficiency certificate each time a building changes hands or there is a change of tenant. Therefore the certificate can be in important factor when a decision is made regarding rental or purchase of commercial property, and also apartments or houses. While the energy efficiency certificate for residential buildings only covers the energy needed for room and water heating, the certificate for non-residential buildings must also cover cooling, lighting and ventilation.