All signals safe
Growing competition in the railway industry makes it essential for suppliers looking for success in the railway vehicle industry to demonstrate and document the safety and high quality of their products. With certification according to ISO/TS 22163 (IRIS Certification™), companies can show clearly to the outside world that their main focus is on quality and they can fulfil the ever-stricter requirements within the sector.
The standard is specific to quality management systems within the rail sector and is directed both towards organisations with the main focus on production, development, project management and maintenance of railway vehicles and to those specialising in signalling equipment. The aim of ISO/TS 22163 is – with the help of consistent quality management requirements, harmonised assessment guidelines and standardised audits – to achieve a high level of transparency within the supply chain. This allows better and more effective assessment and comparability of the suppliers, which means that quality can be increased along the entire supply chain.
For this reason, the four largest system manufacturers (Alstom, AnsaldoBreda, Bombardier and Siemens) require certification according to ISO/TS 22163 on the part of their suppliers.
Certification system according to IRIS
Altogether the IRIS Certification™ rev. 03 certification system consists of three components:
- ISO/TS 22163:2017, consisting of the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and the specific requirements in the railway vehicle sector
- the certification rules (IRIS Certification™ Rules 2017) and
- the IRIS Certification™ Technology (Audit Tool, Portal and data basis)
This means that the certification process follows the rules of the Union des Industries Ferroviaires Européennes (UNIFE), which developed and published the international standard.
ISO/TS 22163 follows the so-called High Level Structure. It includes the requirements of ISO 9001:2015, which are augmented by specific requirements of the railway industry. These include requirements as regards assessment of life cycle costs, project management and order and product series management.
The certification is carried out with the support of the audit software “IRIS Audit-Tool”. This software includes an assessment catalogue which includes around 300 requirements.
The results – and therefore all important or necessary information from the relevant audits – are entered into the IRIS database where they can be seen by developers, designers and purchasers from the railway vehicle sector.
Benefits of certification to ISO/TS 22163
- Fulfilment of the requirements of the railway vehicle industry
- Raising of quality standards in the organisation and in the entire supply chain
- Improvement of market position
- Entry into the IRIS database
- Enhanced profile and competitive strength
- Better chances during tender process
- Possibilities of the combined certifications for reduction of time and cost