Certification Approval for the Canadian Retailer Costco
Costco generated net sales of approximately $138.4 billion in the 2017/2018 fiscal year, making it one of the leading cash and carry food retailers. [Source: Statista.com] The Canadian retailer only accepts suppliers listed through a Costco approved certifier.
TÜV USA is recognised by Costco with a worldwide listing as a certification body. Thanks to the TÜV NORD Group's international organisation, all TÜV NORD branches with appropriately qualified auditors under the project management of TÜV USA can carry out a supplier qualification according to Costco criteria.
Three options for suppliers
There are three ways for suppliers to be listed by Costco:
1. "Small Supplier Audit" (announced) for suppliers <25 employees who do not yet have certification. After successful participation an unannounced Costco GMP audit or a GFSI certification with Costco Addendum is required from the subsequent year
2. Costco GMP Audit (unannounced) - Costco Checklist based on the GFSI approved standards
3. GFSI Addendum Audit - apart from the regular standard requirements of the GFSI approved standards (FSSC, IFS, BRC, SQF), an additional Costco checklist is included as part of the audit, resulting in a small amount of additional effort.
Special requirements for Costco
Requirements that must be met for Costco and that are not reflected in the GFSI standards include:
• Examination by a trained employee recognised by Costco
• Cost and time savings through joint testing as a Costco supplier
• Market access to the Canadian retail industry as a Costco supplier
• Worldwide testing/certification of sites possible
Feel free to contact us for any questions regarding Costco approval.